Supporting Women in Business
Helen Flynn Memorial Business Scholarship
The Helen Flynn Memorial Scholarship Fund offers a €10,000 scholarship to female students from County Carlow pursuing a third level Business qualification. Students should be able to demonstrate academic achievement, a commitment to serving others (in school, their community or at home) a strong work ethic, and leadership qualities.
This application is for prospective college students who have applied to study Business in the 2023/2024 academic year. The completed application form, CV and two references are emailed to email@example.com by 12 noon, 28th February 2023. Shortlisted candidates may be invited for interview.
Having female leaders in positions of influence to serve as role models is critical to the career advancement of women and ultimately benefits all of society in so many ways. Despite compelling evidence that more diversity in senior management increases organisational performance, the proportion of women in key leadership roles remains low in most organisations. Change starts at the top and HIRECO LTD, through this Memorial Scholarship wishes to create and support opportunities for women in Business.
Helen Flynn was the Managing Director of HIRECO LTD having worked her way up through a male dominated industry, earning the respect and admiration of colleagues, clients and business partners. Helen, originally from St. Mullins, Co. Carlow was one of thirteen children whose parents instilled in each one of them a strong work ethic which included commitment, respect and determination. Helen embodied each of these in her professional interactions, decision-making and ambition for the company. HIRECO LTD values education enormously and has an impressive track record of supporting individuals and communities including schools in areas of disadvantage and in particular students who have an ambition to succeed but require some financial assistance to do so.
Helen passed away in February 2022. This scholarship has been founded in her name to honour Helen’s legacy and to support young women to pursue a career in business/leadership.
To honour Helen’s legacy and to support young women to pursue a career in business/leadership, HIRECO LTD, is committing €100,000 over the next ten years. Each year, one 6th year female student in Co. Carlow – Helen’s native county, will receive a bursary of €10,000 to assist her in pursuing Third Level studies in a business-related area. The bursary will be paid annually over the student’s third level primary degree pathway (€2,500 p.a. for a 4-year degree/ €3,333 for a 3-year degree). For some students, accessibility and affordability are barriers to participation and HIRECO LTD wishes to assist in particular, female students who are committed to their studies and wish to pursue an area of business in 3rd level and who, with some financial assistance are provided with a better chance of maximising their participation in education. Students will have a proven record of leadership in their school/community and evidence of commitment and capacity to pursuing further education in the business field.
- Applicants may attend college anywhere in Ireland but must be from Carlow County and attend a post-primary school in Carlow.
- Awards are limited to female students seeking their first Bachelor’s degree.
- Applicants must be attending college full time in 2023-2024.
- Applicants should have a proven record of leadership in their school/community and be able to demonstrate an excellent work ethic.
- Scholarship application deadline must be strictly adhered to.
- Applications received after the final deadline will not be considered.
- The scholarship is not transferable and will not be awarded if you choose to defer your entry to a different academic year or if you choose to transfer to a different course at the College.
- Scholarships are competitive and limited in availability. Selection is based on the information you provide on your initial application and on this scholarship application form. It is, therefore, of great importance that you give your personal statement careful thought and preparation and you refer to the criteria provided.
- Shortlisted candidates may be invited for interview.
- If your scholarship application is successful, you may be asked to appear in online and /or printed marketing materials. This may involve providing a student profile and a photograph which may be used to promote this scholarship. By accepting a scholarship offer, you are also deemed to have accepted the marketing requirements as stated above.